What have we learnt so far?
There is increased expectation from the community that waste management practices will become more and more sustainable into the future. In the context of climate change, rapidly diminishing landfill space in urban environments and ongoing advances in waste management technology, now more than ever we must take greater responsibility of our waste management practices.
The Strategy outlines several key focus areas including:
- Reducing waste, increasing resource recovery
- Conserving landfill capacity by increasing recycling
- Providing cost effective, efficient, convenient and safe waste management system for the community
- Supporting innovation and promoting local business opportunities
- Reducing the incidence of illegal dumping and littering
What is Council proposing?
The draft Strategy aims to minimise long term costs and impacts on the community through the implementation of increasingly sustainable waste management practices. The draft Strategy actively aims to educate and support community, businesses, and households, to reduce waste production and increase recycling.
Where feasible, Council will seek opportunities for regional waste collaboration to help establish cost savings by increasing the critical mass of resources through the considered development of regionally beneficial infrastructure.
Key components of the draft Strategy Action Plan include:
- A review of hard waste collection services
- Establishing a Resource Recovery Centre
- Reviewing public place recycling
- Establishing a Wollongong recycling and resource recovery directory
- Implementing an internal Council waste reduction program
- Devising an Emergency Waste Management Strategy
What happens next?
The draft Strategy is on exhibition 21 April – 21 May 2014. Please take this opportunity to review the draft and provide your comments. All feedback received will be considered in the development and implementation of the final Strategy.The Waste and Resource Strategy will contribute to the delivery of Wollongong 2022, Our Community Strategic Plan and is part of valuing and protecting our environment.
How can I have my say?
The draft Strategy documents can be downloaded from the Document Library below. Copies are also available at Council’s Customer Service Centre, libraries and at the Whytes Gully Waste and Resource Recovery Park.
The easiest way to provide your feedback on the draft Waste and Resource Recovery Strategy is to complete the feedback form on this page.
Written feedback can be posted to:
The General Manager
Wollongong City Council
Locked Bag 8821
Wollongong DC 2500