What works are planned along Cordeaux Road?
Planned works include new bridges, pathways and retaining walls.
These works will include:
- Construction of a new shared pathway linking the existing path network at Booreea Boulevarde, Cordeaux Heights, to the Mount Kembla village including the Mount Kembla Mine Memorial Pathway. A shared path can be used by both pedestrians and cyclists and will improve both safety and the general accessibility of the area.
- The design and construction of a replacement bridge on Cordeaux Road, west of William James Drive which will include road realignment.
- Structural repairs to Bushells Hill Bridge, Mt Kembla.
- Renewal of two failing timber retainingwalls at Mt Kembla Public School and 100m west of the school.
- Road resurfacing from Booreea Boulevarde to Bushells Hill Bridge.
Why are these works being proposed?
The replacement of the bridge west of William James Drive and repair to the Bushells Hill Bridge is essential work to ensure the bridges can continue to operate safely. Road resurfacing is part of our maintenance program. We will also be realigning the road west of William James Drive. The shared path link will improve pedestrian, cyclist and road safety.
When will the works start and how long will it take?
We are commencing engagement in December 2013 so we can gain community input into the designs and talk about the logistics of undertaking this work on a narrow and busy road. We have engaged with other key agencies such as State Emergency Service and Rural Fire Service to get their input into the timing of the project. We expect that work will commence around March 2014, however we will be able toconfirm timing after the engagement is complete and your feedback is considered in finalising the works program.
This is a major project with many stages. We canexpectthe overall project to take up to a year. Council is working to keep the disruption to the community at a minimum.
The impact on traffic will change depending on which works are being undertaken but we expect diversions and one-way traffic flows to be in place at times.
How will the planned works be funded?
The project will be funded in a number of ways. Some works will be paid for out of our existing Capital Works Program as they are already identified as replacement and maintenance works needed for the area.
Council has applied for funding from a number of sources to supplement our budget and allow us to complete these works.
How can I have my say?
You can have your say by visiting www.wollongong.nsw.gov.au and clicking on the link to this project under the Have Your Say heading. You can also send your feedback to Council by a letter, email email@example.com or fax to 02 4227 7580.
Council will be holding a drop-in information session where you can speak to Council staff about the Cordeaux Road works.
The information session will be held at:
5 December 2013
Drop in anytime between 5.50-7.30pm
Kembla Heights Hall, Harry Graham Drive
What happens next?
Council will review feedback received from the community and consider it in finalising plans and the program of works.
Council will notify the community before works commence, and keep you up-to-date throughout the project. There will be changes to traffic flow throughout the project so it is important the community follow the instructions of traffic management staff on-site.